Seven People Crushed To Death, Scores Injured In Onitsha
Awka / Onitsha – No fewer than seven persons were on Wednesday crushed to death while several others were seriously injured at the NITEL section of Upper Iweka in Onitsha, Anambra State.
A tanker loaded with kerosene, coming from the Enugu axis towards Onitsha, had lost control and skidded off the road, crashing into a nearby motor park.
Emma Ejim, an eyewitness, said he saw the tanker coming on high speed, and that before they could shout, the accident had happened.
Narrating his experience, the eyewitness told our correspondent that the accident that happened by 4:57p.m also smashed some shuttle vehicles and crushed goods and wares worth millions of naira.
According to him, the driver of the tanker, after the incident, disappeared from the scene as angry mobs gathered to set the vehicle and the driver ablaze.
The State Chairman of the Red Cross Society, Prof. Peter Katchy, confirmed that seven persons died instantly.
Prof Katchy said three persons who sustained serious injuries were rushed to Pieter Specialist Hospital and to the Toronto Hospital, while one of the dead persons had his head separated from his body completely.
As at the time our correspondent visited Toronto Hospital, most of the dead persons had been deposited in the hospital’s morgue while the headless body of the young man of about 30 years was still lying at the compound of the hospital.
Related Slideshow: News in Pictures (Provided by Photo Services)
Doctors at the Toronto Hospital were seen battling to save the lives of the survivors.
It would be recalled that sometime in May 2015 a similar accident happened at the same area where over 70 people were roasted alive. This is the fourth time such accident is happening in the same area.
All efforts made by the Anambra State government to stop loading and offloading of passengers in the area have failed as transporters plying Onitsha-Asaba route have always defied government’s regulations.
The operatives of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and the police who patrol the area seem not to help matters as touts hold sway in that area on daily basis.
Trucks Broke Into Shops, Kill Six In Anambra
Similarly, at least six persons were feared dead and property worth millions of naira destroyed when a heavy duty truck laden with cement broke into shops, killing traders and destroying goods at Ibughubu Market, Umuchu in Aguata Local Council Area of Anambra.
The death toll included two drivers that had a collision and other four persons, while the conductor of one of the vehicles was injured.
The accident occurred about 1:45p.m on Tuesday, and involved a tipper lorry, marked JJT-421XG, and a truck fully loaded with cement.
An eyewitness gave the breakdown of the casualties as two drivers, one of the conductors, and two traders that met their untimely death while doing their businesses in their various shops.
When our reporter visited the area, some indigenes were seen offloading the bags of cement from the trailer that damaged more than three shops at the market.
Policemen from Umuchu Police Station were on ground to douse tension and stop unscrupulous elements from taking undue advantage of the situation.
According to the eyewitness, Joshua Agbasiri, the two trucks had collision before they rammed into market stalls.
He said: “The cement truck was on a high speed. It pushed the tipper to the other side of the market where it destroyed shops and inflicted injuries on some shop owners,” he said, and called on the government to quickly come and install speed breaker on the road as it was becoming a death trap.
Also speaking, the chairman of Ubughubu village, Titus Ike, who said he got the news while at Nnewi, noted that the trucks broke through three shops belonging to one Okwudili Egbobuike and Nonso Ezekwelu.
“Nonso’s own was worse because it broke into three shops, with the owner and his mother becoming victims. There are other people I don’t have their details because I have not been to the hospital. Our village man, Aaron Ononuju, who is about 65 years of age, had been taken to the mortuary.
“We are currently embarking on peaceful demonstration to the palace of our traditional ruler and other leaders of the community.
“We are going to install speed breaker on this road tomorrow because we are tired of this re-occurring accidents.
“This place is valley, especially the market. We don’t want it to kill people again. Two years ago, we lost nine persons. We lost two students two months ago. We just lost three persons,” he lamented.
The post Seven People Crushed To Death, Scores Injured In Onitsha appeared first on Independent Newspapers Nigeria.
More From Daily Independent
Nigeria’s balance of payments risesDaily Independent
Cars on Nigerian roads hit 11.8MDaily Independent
Gunmen kill over 100 in NigeriaDaily Independent